Skip to main content

Please, Pinterest Responsibly


Please, Pinterest Responsibly

Pinterest. Need I say more? The word alone causes my heart to flutter. So many ideas. So many things I want to do or make. Good things. Things for my family.  Things for me. Gift ideas. I’m struck with Pinterest-fever. I love Pinterest. It feels like my calling in life. Soul food.
But Pinterest is bad for me, in a way. The problem is not actually Pinterest. The problem is me. I have difficulty staying on Pinterest longer than I should. I have trouble getting caught up in ideas. Things to make… bake…craft… cook… decorate… do….ideas…ideas…ideas. Ahhhh! My mind and time become consumed with all the ideas I want to pursue.
When my mind is consumed with other things, there is no room for thoughts of God. No time to meditate on His word. And truth be told, the more I allow my mind and heart to be satisfied with Pins, the less I desire God’s word in my life. When my soul feeds on the deliciousness of each Pin, my hunger for God seems to sink into the shadows.
As a child of God, my mind should be first consumed with following Christ rather than the latest and greatest boards on Pinterest. My soul should seek to delight in God. My mind should first look for ways He wants me to serve my husband and family each day rather than focusing on what new idea I can find. I should be using my time to build my faith and my home instead of building my Boards.
Ideas come and go, no matter how awesome they are. But the word of God stands forever. It has life giving power, truth and living water. It shows me how to live a godly life. I need to start there, in scripture and prayer each day and save my Pinterest-ing for the extra moments that may or may not come available.
Every time I Pinterest I loose all track of time and end up wasting time or neglecting things I am supposed to do. Before I know it, the day is gone and I have not accomplished much around my home. You too?
We need a “Pinterest Responsibly” campaign to remind us of our real calling in life. Without a clear view and reminders of our calling as wives and moms, we are likely to become women with much awesomeness on our Pin Boards but ineffective in our homes and faith.
5 Ways To Pinterest Responsibly
1. Allow yourself no Pinterest-ing until you have read your bible and prayed each day. Period.
2. Set a timer before you sit down to Pinterest. Don’t let it eat up your day.
3. Have a board full of home organization tips? Gift ideas? Workouts? Cleaning tips?  Implement one each week. (Give yourself a deadline, no Pinterest-ing until it is done.)
4. Choose 3 daily chores you love to avoid. Pinterest-ing is your sweet reward for work well done.
5. Create a board of Bible study and faith walk tips. Choose one and follow it through. When you’re through it, choose another and do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

Move Your Faith From Private To Public

Have you ever wondered about the Bleeding Woman in Mark chapter 5? While we are on the subject, I seriously think we should consider giving her a name, that’s not something anyone wants to be known as. Maybe we should call her the Woman of Faith... But back to the subject. Or maybe it is part of the subject now that I think about it. I’ll get to that in a bit. Instead of receiving healing and going on her merry way as I often do, she moved to a position of worship in front of Jesus. Her faith compelled her to go to Jesus for healing and her faith also compelled her to worship Him publically. I don’t mind God knowing about all my junk, but I don’t necessarily like anyone else to know. Are you with me? I tend to want to only show the good and keep the bad and ugly hidden away. Keep it just between God and I. To move in front of Jesus and publically worship for healing meant others would know her problems and that she needed healing. She opened herself up to the eye of