Skip to main content

25 Days of Praise

Somewhere in the midst of the mad dash between Thanksgiving and Christmas, a stirring happens in my soul. With turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie on my plate I name long list of things of which I am thankful for.


That list has barely left my lips when Black Friday begins the rush to splurge, buy, consume and want more, more, more. All in so called celebration of the coming of the Messiah. It’s the American way. And it just doesn’t seem to fit together. “I’m thankful for…”.and “I want….”

I’m not saying its wrong to want, obviously that’s not true. But it seems the thankfulness only lasts for a day or so when the flurry of wanting moves in and overshadows any thoughts of gratitude. Yes, deep inside I am still thankful for the basic necessities of life, but when the sale fliers arrive in my newspaper, my eyes get bigger than my checkbook. My wants turn into needs and I am suddenly not so grateful for what I have, but I would surely be grateful if I had this or that new gadget. Or that warm sweater. Or new dishes. Or a new tv. This list can go on and on and on and on and on and….. well, you get the picture.

Many blogs I have read lately spent November reciting what they are thankful for. It’s great, I definitely need to be reminded to be thankful. Today I am continuing that for 25 more days. Each day I will post something I am thankful for. My heart needs to be reminded to appreciate what I do have instead of wishing for more each day during this month-long pursuit of more.

So, join me in this adventure. 25 days of praise.  Praising God for His provisions.  I challenge you to comment each day something you are thankful for. I would love to hear your ending to the sentence: “I am thankful for …”

Day 1:
Today I am thankful for parents
who taught me about loving
and serving God, an absolutely
priceless value to my life.


Comments

  1. Sharon,
    I didn't know you had a blog-way cool! You really should write a book=) Today I am thankful for being a stay-at-home mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Announcing Another Litle Girl

What a new newborn does to a person! I’m in love. *sigh* Papa and I were able to spend almost a week with this new sweet-one when she was newborn.   Introducing Little Miss Alaya Jane . Isn’t. she. just. adorable? She’s my little Peanut. We’ve had 3 new granddaughters in the past 10 months – which makes a total of 5 little girls in 2 ½ years, and we are loving it! You can catch up on the first 4, Sweet Pea, Chickadee, Honey Bee, and Squirt, in the archives. (I'm having difficulty with linking to certain posts at the moment.) Oh, how the grace of God is so faithful! We have been reflecting on how proud we are of how our kids have grown to be adults who love God and married spouses who follow Him too. To see them start families and train their little ones to live to “make Jesus happy” – to put it in toddler terms. This leaves this Papa and Mama so happy… and humble. We weren’t perfect parents. We tried to be good parents, but often fell short. We are so thankf...

Precious One

I enjoyed tucking my daughter in tonight, we talked and even giggled when I broke out spontaneously in a ridiculous rendition of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. “Mom, rub my face like you used to” she requested. She shut her eyes as my fingers danced lightly around her face, something she used to like when she was a little girl. She drifted off to sleep and my thoughts drifted to praying for her. “Father, keep her from evil and keep evil from her… "She is Yours, help her to know that and live it and find satisfaction in nothing and no one else…." I was struck by the truth that her life and soul mean infinitely more to me than anything this life can offer. As I prayed, God re-ordered some things in my life and refocused my heart. I have been anxious to repaint my living room a fresh new color. Yet compared to the vital task of raising this young woman, building a God-world view in her life, my living room and so many other desires took a back seat and seemed so unimportan...

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr...