Skip to main content

Downsizing, Dave & Digging In



Ever feel like your life is a whirlwind? Like the merry-go-round just won’t stop to let you catch your breath? Me too. We are on a mission lately and I haven’t spent my regular time in the word. Or in prayer. Or writing. And my soul feels it.

And so, now at 4:30 am, I am up to stop the cycle. When life just won’t give you the time to do the important things, get up earlier. Right? Right.

So what is the mission we are on lately, you ask? We are downsizing to a smaller house. And a smaller mortgage. Much smaller. We purchased a home in March with the intention of giving it some much needed TLC and then renting it out. Good plan.

Then Dave started talking.  (Not audibly to us. In our heads.) He brought up the whole subject, so I am calling the “new” house Dave’s House. If you don’t know Dave, I highly recommend you check out his website, radio show and books. But I must warn you. He is likely to disrupt the comfortable parts of your world. For a while. And that’s ok because it ends you in an even more comfortable life later.

We downsized just two years ago to a smaller home when we were down to just one kid left at home. We like our home. It is roomy and more than enough space for the two of us now that we have an empty nest. We like our back yard, and our extra lot and the way we have fixed up the house suits us well. We are comfortable.

But what if we could sacrifice some comfortable. Sacrifice some time and elbow grease. And live like no one else? We have been Dave-ing it for 5 years or so now. We no longer have vehicle payments. Or payments of any kind. Except for a mortgage. Make that two mortgages right now. But what if we could eliminate those altogether? Our dreams of serving (the real mission) could expand. That makes my soul sing.

And so, here we are. Working on downsizing. Again. Tossing out the things we can live without. Digging in and cleaning out closets. Buttoning up our current house to place on the market. And preparing Dave’s house to live in it. Every spare minute is spent preparing.

At times I am tired physically. It would be so much easier to just stay put. At times I want to whine. I will miss this house. I don’t like Dave’s House as much. The rooms are smaller…the kitchen is smaller…it is closer to neighbors and I like the privacy we currently have.

But this is good for me. God doesn’t call me to live my life here in comfort. His plan for me isn’t to have a nice home and a relaxing life. I am called to serve. To give. To go and tell. When he sent the disciples out two by two He instructed them to take nothing with them. No extra clothing. No money. Nothing.

In a have-it-all me-first world, we are called not to have-it-all but to serve. To live mission-minded. Our life here is only temporary, just a vapor. It is so easy to get wrapped up in life here on this planet and lose sight of the life we are called to live. Lose sight of the real life we will spend in eternity.

As I catch my breath in these wee hours, I am re-energized and refocused as I continue our mission. So we can continue our real mission.

So, how are you living the mission. The real mission?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t