Skip to main content

When is Good - Good Enough?


We are told over and over to do our best. Leave it all on the floor. Give yourself totally to the task or game. Be the best. Don’t settle for less. Rise above the crowd. Be an over-achiever.
But, really, is this as good as it sounds? There is absolutely no way we can do our absolute best on everything in life – work, home, marriage, parenting, cooking, ministry, appearance, etc… Just think of each thing you do each day, if you took the time to do your absolute best on each item, you would be a worn out mess before your second cup of coffee! Your relationships would be strained. Your nerves would be fraying.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t do well. God tells us “whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31) He says whatever. Meaning everything. But He doesn’t say do your best at it. Do it perfect.
So when is good… good enough? In all the whatevers I do each day, how do I know when and where to do a good job and when and where to slow down and do my absolute best?

I think if we look at our tasks and ask a question. In 1 Corinthians 9:19 Paul states his purpose in what he does. “…to win as many as possible.” (NIV) To win souls to salvation. His goal is to lead others to the cross. To show them Christ.
His goal is not to impress others. To win a title. To reach his personal best.  To climb the ladder. To gain respect. His goal is for others. For their good. The winning is not for my good, but for the good of others.

Will spotless floors in my kitchen win more people to Christ?

Will magazine-worthy landscaping help me spread the gospel?

Will 92 quarts of home- canned green beans help me share God’s love?

The answer could be yes. We could join a gardening club with the purpose of building relationships and sharing God’s word with others. We could use the canned goods to share with neighbors and create opportunities to share the gospel. The spotless home could gain me the prestige to join a coffee group and share God’s work in my life. They all could help me win more. And if so, I need to do my best at them.
But if I’m just doing all these things for me, or to fill my time, or these things keep me too busy to share with others, aren’t they just in the way?

Titus 2 tells us to be busy at home. Busy is good. But so busy that I cannot be involved in bible study or outreach or ministry is not what He meant. We need to evaluate the things in our lives that we are called to do like being a wife, mom and witness of Christ. Then do those things to the best of our ability. Our absolute best.  The other things can be done to the standard of good. Good is good enough.
Where eternity counts, do your best….don’t settle for less…leave it all on the floor. Win more.

How will you win more? Leave a comment, share your thoughts on this, I'd love to hear your ideas!
blessings,
Sharon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

Move Your Faith From Private To Public

Have you ever wondered about the Bleeding Woman in Mark chapter 5? While we are on the subject, I seriously think we should consider giving her a name, that’s not something anyone wants to be known as. Maybe we should call her the Woman of Faith... But back to the subject. Or maybe it is part of the subject now that I think about it. I’ll get to that in a bit. Instead of receiving healing and going on her merry way as I often do, she moved to a position of worship in front of Jesus. Her faith compelled her to go to Jesus for healing and her faith also compelled her to worship Him publically. I don’t mind God knowing about all my junk, but I don’t necessarily like anyone else to know. Are you with me? I tend to want to only show the good and keep the bad and ugly hidden away. Keep it just between God and I. To move in front of Jesus and publically worship for healing meant others would know her problems and that she needed healing. She opened herself up to the eye of