Skip to main content

Taxes and Time with the Father

My apologies for not posting this past week. I am still playing the game of catch-up after being down with yet another sinus infection and am also paying for not keeping better records for taxes in 2010. Ugh! Every year I vow to do better at that, and somewhere around April or May, I forget all about tax records and then sprint in January to make up for it. It's finally done and I have vowed once again not to let it happen again! Ten minutes each month can save me a ton of time in January. (Ask me in May how I'm doing.)


This reminds me of how I am in my Christian walk at times. I vow to read my bible and pray more. And I do well for a while but somewhere along the way I settle back into my rut only to regret it later. It's just like my record keeping, daily commitment can save me heartache later.


I forget the headache from January when I’m enjoying the sunshine in June. Just like I forget the importance of being organized and keeping good records, I forget the benefits of God. I forget that the only way to fullness is through Him. I feel the heartaches and emptiness when I have neglected to spend time with the Father in previous months.


It’s good to be organized but really, in view of eternity, it doesn’t matter if I am prepared in January or not; what does matter is if I have been walking with God daily. I will “rise before dawn and cry for help”.


I’d love to hear about your time with God, the blessings and struggles of staying consistent in daily time with your Father.


John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full.

Psalm 109:1-5
1Praise the LORD, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name. 
Praise the LORD, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits— 
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases, 
who redeems your life
from the pit and crowns you
with love and compassion, 
who satisfies your desires
with good things so that your youth
is renewed like the eagle’s.

Psalm 119:147
I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I have put my hope in your word.








Comments

  1. It seems we all struggle with being consistant in the word and praying,like you said it starts off good but then lessons as the months go by. I too am really trying to make it so much a part of my day like brushing my teeth, I do not forget that to often :). I do not push myself on Sat and Sun but really have been finding that I am missing that time and can not wait to get back to the schedule.I do not alway do it at the same time but I do try to think ahead of time to what my day looks like tomorrow so where will I be able to put it in so it is not forgotten altogether. I pray with a prayer journal of so many on each day and then family and special request everyday, I love that time, remembering to give time for gratefulness and thanksgiving. I will pray that it will be better and more consistant. I love you and miss you. mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t