Skip to main content

Whining

Ahhhh! A warmish sunny Sunday afternoon in November. It had been weeks since I had been able to go for a walk outside, and winter would soon set in; I grabbed a jacket and a notebook and headed out the door. The sun quickly slipped behind a few clouds, but the fresh air felt good anyway. I climbed down some rocks to walk along the river; it is one of my favorite places to be. The river and the sound of the waves seem to quiet my soul and allow for reflection in my heart.

The sun was still hiding and with the air chilling, I slipped in a request for the rays to warm me. I continued to walk along the water, lifting my heart to God, seeking wisdom in trials I was facing and praising Him for the beauty around me. Again, I asked for the sun to shine. The walk did not seem “right” with out it. The sun just does something for me, warming my soul along with my skin. Getting chilled, I progressed from asking and began to whine. “Lord, let the sun shine…. Why won’t you let it shine now?...You’re the One in charge of those clouds… You can move them….just move them… I want sun!....I need the sun…” I tried to sound more pitiful than demanding, but I felt I deserved the sun after a particularly long and busy month.

I sat on a large log and got out my notebook to journal, but no words came. No inspiration. Even the previous reflections vanished as I stared… no, glared at the clouds covering up the sun. The wind picked up and with the chill setting in even stronger, I gave up and headed home. “Well, God, if you’re not going to warm me with the sun, then I’m going home.” It felt as if, once again, God had not come through for me. Feelings of self pity began to wash over me, leaving me feeling alone in the world with no one to count on. (I do know this all sounds rather petty and childish, bear with me though.) It was a classic Elisha moment – you know, like sitting under a weed pouting after winning the Battle of the Prophets.

Within just a few minutes I felt the warmth on my back and arms. The clouds had moved. I had given up too early. I felt God say “You need to wait on My timing. I am in charge, not you. I am the One holding the big picture. You need to trust Me. Trust that I am at work in your life. Don’t run ahead of Me.” Immediately, I felt childish for my little game of “If you’re not going to play my way, I’m taking my toys and going home.” God’s waiting was not without purpose. Just who, exactly, did I think I was? And just who did I think I was dealing with? Repentance was in order.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to face the sun. With eyes closed, I basked in the warmth and comfort it brought. I thanked Him for the sun. Upon opening my eyes, it seemed the rest of the sky had dimmed. Was a storm coming? Had it gotten later than I thought? But nothing had changed except the focus of my eyes. By comparison, everything else around me had dimmed.

I love how God will use a walk and childish behavior to illustrate my need for Him and Him alone. It is so easy to get caught up in all the busyness and “urgencies” of life. It’s so easy to buy the lie that my life is all about me. But, when the Son shines on my face, and I turn to bask in His light, everything else fades in comparison. The more I have of Him, the more He shines in my life, the more I want. More of Him, less of this world… and less of this me.

In Hot Pursuit,

Sharon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t