Skip to main content

Running The Race


For those of you who know me, it may seem strange to see this title on my blog. It probably seems a bit inconsistent with my character as I do not have a single athletic cell in my body. Never have. I avoid sweating. And sore muscles. This would include running. And so I don’t run. Period.
I wish I did. I drive by runners (Notice I’m the one in the car, not the one running.) and it looks like a good form of exercise,  a way to stay in shape, build self-discipline and get firm muscles (versus the squishiness that comes from avoiding such activities, ahem.). But I just don’t know how to run … and I don’t like it anyway. There, I said it. I don’t like running.

I am in a race, though. This one doesn’t require running shorts. Thank God for that, you don’t want me running around in those, it’s not a pretty sight! It doesn’t require Nikes, which is good because I really would rather spend my money on cute sandals. Or sweating, which is good since I have a life rule to avoid sweating. This seems to be a race I am cut out for. A race I was made to run.
This race is an eternal race. Long distance, requiring endurance. If you have been saved by grace, you’re in this race with me too. No special clothing is required, but we do need to train. There is not a special trainer you have to shell out moolah for, but you do need your bible.

Just as the runners preparing for a marathon are out there day in and day out, we need to train daily as well. I Corinthians 9 gives us some training tips. And it’s a good place to start.

We must begin with strict training (NIV) and exercise self-control (NAS). In all things. There is no room for excuses, rationalizing or permissive days. This is not a race to be reserved for certain areas or times in our lives. It is a way of life.

Have you ever noticed that letting yourself have just one sweet leads to wanting more and more…. Until the sweet cravings get out of control? It’s the same way with sin. Dropping our guard, letting down our stand just once so easily leads to more. For a runner, skipping one day can lead to skipping another and another… and another. And soon training must begin all over again.

We must discipline ourselves, train to be godly, (1 Tim 4:7) and train our hearts to love His word. We need a training routine. Our natural default will be to let self rest, let self do as it pleases, let self go the easy route. I don’t want to live on default, I want to train.

My current training routine involves morning bible reading, journaling and prayer. Then I seek to apply what I studied throughout the day, looking for ways and areas of my life it can soak into. It’s not an easy routine, some days I have a long to-do list and could use the extra time instead of sitting down with God. Maybe putting on some running shorts and Nikes would be easier, but definitely not as valuable. I’m running for a prize that will last forever.
What is your training routine? What are you studying lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t