Skip to main content

Conquering Clutter

I felt God’s leading beginning about a year ago to begin the daunting task of de-cluttering our home. At first, I was the sole warrior in the war against useless stuff. I began in the basement. A little each week. This past fall, however, another soldier enlisted to fight the battle alongside me. My husband and I went through the house room by room, notebook and pen in hand. We wrote down what needed to be done in each room to de-junk, repair and spruce up our home.

One person can accomplish a lot, but get two side by side in a task and you can “get er done.” We went back through the house, room by room, tackling the junk and making repairs. The first was the upstairs bedrooms, now empty with our 2 sons grown. I found myself in the days following sneaking up to just sit and reflect in the quiet, clean (something those rooms had not been for years) and uncluttered surroundings.

It’s difficult to live in a home that is over stuffed. A few years ago, I caught an Oprah show on houses that were inconceivably crowded with stuff. The families couldn’t enjoy their homes, they couldn’t clean them, and were confined to only a few rooms to abide in like prisoners. All because “More is better”…. “I’ll take care of it later”…. “It was such a good clearance”…”I just had to have it”…You’ve been there.

This video shows a woman who for years has hoarded clothing and in two hours has to weed it out. (No comments from my husband, please) She has to face the fact that she can let go of the items she so badly had to have and thought would bring her comfort and happiness. It’s the same with our lives. Things that we think we need to provide security or contentment, don’t deliver. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnGqwwyr8iQ&feature=related

Of course God had larger plans than just making my home easier to live in, He was leading me to de-clutter my life inside as well. To toss the rubble from my heart and mind. The stuff that keeps me from fully living for Him. With my mind too cluttered, I can’t hear the Holy Spirit guiding me. Long before the Fly Lady and Peter Walsh, Hebrews 12 gave us a de-clutter guide complete with motivation too.

Hebrews 12:1-3
“…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,
fixing our eyes on Jesus…. so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”

Step 1: Identify everything that hinders your walk.

Step 2: Throw them off. Discard them. Get rid of them. Shred them.

Step 3: Run the race marked out for you. Not someone else’s race, your

             own race,this is a very important point or you will need to

             revert back to step 1.
       
Step 4: Persevere. Persevere. Persevere.

Step 5: Fix your eyes on Jesus. On your purpose. Focus. Focus. Focus.

Step 6: Go out for coffee with a friend at each triumphant milestone. (Ok, so I

             made that one up myself, but you have to admit, it’s a good one…)

Step 7: Make a You Tube video about your experience. Ok, so maybe not,

             but if you do, sent me a link!

Now it's your turn: Tell me about your de-junking tips - both around the home and in your soul!

Comments

  1. We're speaking the same language! How interesting that you love to sit in the finished rooms, not the ones filled with the things you, at one time, needed. I find the same conundrum in my house. The emptier rooms are my peaceful solitudes. What if everywhere in my house could be conquered into a peaceful submission? So now I am the Peaceful Warrior Princess! Funny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t